NEW YORK – July 9, 2021 – The WNBA announced today that Liberty guard Sami Whitcomb will participate in the WNBA MTN DEW 3-Point Contest at halftime of the AT&T WNBA All-Star 2021, which will take place Wednesday, July 14 at Michelob ULTRA Arena at Mandalay Bay Resort and Casino in Las Vegas on ESPN.
Whitcomb will represent New York in her first appearance in the WNBA Three-Point Contest. A two-time WNBA Champion while a member of the Seattle Storm, Whitcomb is shooting a career-and-team-high 45.7% from deep and leading the league in total three pointers made (53) in her first season with the Liberty. She is the team’s second leading scorer averaging a career-best 12.6 points per game.
Sami was selected to participate alongside Connecticut Sun forward Jonquel Jones, Seattle Storm guard Jewell Loyd, and Chicago Sky guard Allie Quigley. Information on the charities each is competing for will be announced at a later date.
The rules for the MTN DEW 3-Point Contest are as follows:
- Four players will compete in a two-round, timed shooting competition.
- Ball racks are positioned at five main shooting locations around the three-point arc.
- Four of the racks contain four official WNBA game balls and one “money” ball.
- The WNBA game balls are worth one point. The “money” ball is worth two points.
- For each rack, the “money” ball can only be shot after the four WNBA game balls are shot.
- The fifth rack will be a special “all money ball” rack. Each competitor will decide the spot for this rack to be placed at one of the five main shooting locations. Every ball on this rack is worth two points.
- Two ball pedestals are positioned at deep shot locations called “THE DEW ZONE™”, one between racks 2 and 3 and the other between racks 3 and 4. (See attached graphic for reference.)
- Each ball pedestal holds a special ball known as the “3-Ball.”
- Shots made with the “3-Ball” are worth 3 points.
- Players must exhaust the ball racks and pedestals in competition order before moving on to the next shooting location.
- Players may not start on or over the three-point line while shooting. The basket will not count if the line is violated. For the two additional deep shots, the player must begin their shooting motion with at least one foot in the “THE DEW ZONE” designated by a floor decal.
- INSTANT REPLAY – At the discretion of the referee, instant replay may be utilized for clarification of rules compliance.
- Each competitor has 70-seconds (1:10) to shoot as many of the 27 balls as they can.
- Order of competition will be determined by random drawing.
- The two players with the highest scores advance to the Final Round.
FIRST ROUND TIEBREAKER
- In the event of a tie to determine the Final Round participants, a 30-second tiebreaker will take place using the same competition format described above. If necessary, this process will be repeated until the tie is broken.
- Two players will compete in the Final Round.
- The competition order for the Final Round will be determined by the inverse order of First Round scores (e.g., the player with the lowest score in the First Round among the players who advanced shoots first in the Final Round).
FINAL ROUND TIEBREAKER
- In the event of a tie to determine the Champion, a full 70-second (1:10) tiebreaker will take place. If necessary, this process will be repeated until the tie is broken.