NEW YORK, N.Y. – JULY 10, 2016 – The New York Liberty picked up a 75-65 wire-to-wire victory over the San Antonio Stars on Sunday afternoon at Madison Square Garden, winning their third-straight to improve to 15-6 overall.
Amanda Zahui B came off the bench to lead the Liberty in scoring, finishing with 14, pacing a New York second unit that combined for 38 points.
Sugar Rodgers also finished in double figures with 11 points and a pair of 3-pointers, while Tina Charles and Shavonte Zellous each chipped in 10.
Despite never falling trailing, New York did not put the Stars away until the final period when the margin stretched from three heading into the fourth all the way to 13 with 3:25 remaining.
An acrobatic over the shoulder, no-look shot off the glass on the fast break from point guard Brittany Boyd capped a 10-4 Liberty run with 7:38 to play, giving New York a 60-51 lead as San Antonio called for a timeout.
Three minutes later, Boyd drove to the rack again, this time giving New York an 11-point cushion, and the lead peaked at 69-56 as Zahui B cleaned up an offensive rebound.
Overall, New York outscored the Stars 25-18 in the fourth, finally pulling away from a resilient squad that seemed to have an answer every time the Liberty looked as if it would put the game out of reach.
New York started strong. Carolyn Swords had 6-of-10 points for the Liberty in the first five minutes, making it 10-7 with a hook shot for her third bucket of the game. That basket spurred a run of nine unanswered, capped by a Charles 16-footer at 2:32 to push the lead to 10 fewer than eight minutes into the action.
San Antonio closed to within two at the half after a low scoring second quarter, and nearly matched the Libs basket-for-basket in the third before New York eventually put the game out of reach.
Monique Curry led all scorers with 17 points, and Moriah Jefferson had 11 points with three steals.
New York returns to action on Monday, July 13, when it hosts the Atlanta Dream on Camp Day at Madison Square Garden. Tipoff is scheduled for 11 a.m.
• The Liberty wore special warmup shirts that were black and had two hashtags on the front #BlackLivesMatter and #Dallas5 and on the back it said #___________
• The Liberty have won three in a row and improve to 6-4 at home this season
• Dating back to last season New York has won four straight over the Stars
• It was the third wire-to-wire win for the Liberty over the past five games
• Amanda Zahui B led the Liberty in scoring for the first time and recorded her fourth game in double figures
• Carolyn Swords matched her career-high with 11 rebounds