INDIANAPOLIS, IN. (August 20, 2019) – The New York Liberty returned to Bankers Life Fieldhouse to complete its three-game road trip in Indianapolis against the Fever. New York defeated the Fever, snapping an eight-game losing streak in an 82-76 decision.q
Leading the Liberty, Tina Charles scored 23 points on 40% (10-25) shooting from the field.
A 6-0 run by the Liberty was cut short in the opening minutes of the game when Indiana’s Natalie Achonwa connected on a three-point shot from the top of the key. New York seemed to be clicking on all cylinders, leading by as many as 17 in the first half, the team’s largest lead of the season.
Opening the second quarter, Indiana went on a 4-0 run. More than two minutes in, Marine Johannes hit a fadeaway two-point shot to give the Liberty its first basket of the second quarter.
Despite Indiana’s 8-3 run to close the second quarter, New York went into the locker room up at the half for the first time since the team’s August 11 against Seattle game at Barclays Center.
Kia Nurse opened the second half with a three-point shot on the team’s first possession and two back-to-back defensive stops.
Indiana cut the New York lead to three with 7:10 remaining in the third quarter. The Liberty extended the lead to eight when the team went on a 7-3 run midway through the third. Chipping away at New York’s lead, Indiana finished the quarter down only two points.
The fourth quarter began with the teams trading baskets. A three-point shot by Tanisha Wright with 4:19 left in the game put the liberty up by five points. On the next Liberty possession, Bria Hartley hit a three to extend the team’s lead to seven.
With 1:38 in the game, McCowan made two free throws to put the Fever within four points. A steal by Kia Nurse with 41 seconds in the game and 100% shooting from the free throw line in the fourth quarter was exactly what New York needed to hold the lead and secure the win.
UP NEXT: The Liberty heads home to New York to take on the Atlanta Dream at Westchester County Center for the annual Breast Health Awareness Night on Friday, August 23. Tip-off is at 7:30 p.m. ET.
- New York shot 40% from the field and 42.9% from the three-point line. The team shot 100% from the free throw line in the fourth quarter and 94.4% on the night.
- The Liberty ended an eight-game losing streak with tonight’s win over Indiana.
- Tina Charles has scored double figures in the last six of seven games. She had 10 points in the first quarter and 21 at the half. She finished with 23 points and 14 rebounds in her seventh double-double of the season.
- In the first half, New York led by as many as 17, the team’s largest lead of the season.
- Kia Nurse scored 11 points in the opening quarter and had three assists. She finished with 20 points on 75% (6-8) shooting from the field and 80% (4-5) from the field.
- Bria Hartley added 16 points for the Liberty on 40% (4-10) shooting from the field and 40% (2-5) from the three and four assists.
- Amanda Zauhi B returned to play after sitting out the last four games. She added seven points and four rebounds to the Liberty effort before fouling out with 3:18 remaining in the fourth quarter.
- Reshanda Gray replaced Rebecca Allen in the starting lineup.