WHITE PLAINS, NY. (August 23, 2019) – The Atlanta Dream traveled to New York for the first time this season to take on the New York Liberty in White Plains for the team’s annual Breast Health Awareness game. The team’s silent auction of signed apparel and special experiences raised nearly $5,000 for the White Plains Hospital Center for Cancer Care.
New York ultimately fell to the Atlanta, 90-87 despite a 14-point first half lead in their return home. With the win, Atlanta snaps a 12-game losing streak and an eight-game losing streak on the road.
Bria Hartley led the Liberty with 17 points on 46.7% shooting from the field and 50% (3-6) from beyond the arc.
For the first time this season, in the first half, ten New York players touched the floor and each of them scored at least one point.
The New York Liberty came out hot, not missing a shot until midway through the first quarter. The team finished the quarter shooting a season best 64.7% from the field.
The second quarter began with a steal by Brittany Boyd that led to two points for Rebecca Allen. Tied with less than three minutes into the second quarter, an 8-0 run led by back-to back three-point goals by Rebecca Allen, gave the Liberty a boost to go up by 10 points.
The dream ignited a run of their own to close the quarter, scoring ten points to the Liberty’s three points with 1:03 left in the half, cutting the Liberty’s lead to four.
Once New York gained the lead in the first quarter, the team maintained it throughout the rest of the first half, going up by as many as 14 and into the locker room up five points.
Atlanta outscored New York 9-6 to open the third quarter, getting within two points of the Liberty and forcing a New York timeout with 6:50 left. An and one by Tiffany Hayes at 5:22 tied the game at 59.
Atlanta took the lead after Sykes and Montgomery hit back-to-back threes for the Dream. Up 62-67 with two minutes in the third quarter, Atlanta made another wide-open shot to put them up seven. The Dream ended the third quarter up by six.
In the fourth quarter, New York chipped away at Atlanta’s lead thanks to a 4-0 Reshanda Gray run to kick off the quarter. A reverse layup by Brittany Boyd with less than four minutes in the game, cut the Dream lead to two points.
A layup by Boyd from a Tina Charles assist tied the game with less than two minutes remaining in the fourth quarter. Two made free throws by Tina Charles with 1:04 left in the game gave New York a one-point advantage, their first lead of the fourth quarter.
A steal by Brittany Boyd led to a Tina Charles bucket, which put New York up three points with 46.8 in the game. An offensive foul called on Bria Hartley with 24 seconds in the game gave Atlanta the ball back and led to a layup by Rene Montgomery to give Atlanta a one-point advantage.
Atlanta ran away with the win in New York, tying the season matchup 1-1.
UP NEXT: New Yorkwill travel to Washington, DC to face the Mystics on Sunday, August 25. Tip-off is at 3 p.m. ET.
- New York shot 42.7% from the field and 38.9% from the three-point line.
- Bria Hartley led Liberty scorers with 17 points on 46.7% from the field and 50% from the three, tying her season high. She also added five assists.
- Brittany Boyd scored six points in the fourth quarter. She finished with eight points and added three rebounds, two steals and five assists.
- In her second game back since suffering a concussion during the August 7 game, Amanda Zauhi B returned to the Liberty’s starting lineup for the first time. She finished the game with 10 points on 66.7% shooting from the field and seven rebounds.
- Tina Charles has scored double figures in the last seven of eight games. She had 15 points on 29.4% shooting from the field. Charles also added eight rebounds and five assists.
- The Liberty bench scored 36 points led by 11 for Reshanda Gray. Gray also grabbed three rebounds.