BROOKLYN, NY. (August 11, 2019) – The New York Liberty hosted their first regular season game at Barclays Center for the team’s annual UNITY Day against the Seattle Storm. There were a season-record 7,715 fans in Brooklyn to support the Liberty in their third and final matchup against the Storm of the 2019 regular season.
New York ultimately fell to the Storm 84-69 in their Brooklyn debut.
The Liberty won the tip and scored the first basket to begin the game. Tina Charles scored eight of New York’s first 13 points and a season-high 20 first-half points. Seattle led by as many as nine points in the half before New York cut into their lead going into the locker room up two points.
In the first half, New York shot 48.5% from the field and 50% from beyond the arc. Seattle shot 54.3% from the field in the first half and 36.8% from three.
The second half began with a 4-0 run by Seattle. The Storm regained the lead and were up by as many as 17 points. New York cut the lead down to ten when Rebecca Allen drove in for two points with 4:45 in the game.
Still down ten with 1:45 left in the game, New York was unable to come back and pull out the win.
UP NEXT: New York heads back to Westchester County Center on Tuesday to take on the Minnesota Lynx at 7 p.m. ET.
- A season-record 7,715 Liberty fans attended the team’s first-ever regular season game in Brooklyn.
- The Liberty shot 42.2% from the field and 25% from beyond the arc.
- New York went into battle without two starters forward/center Amanda Zauhi B (out, concussion) and rookie guard Asia Durr (out, groin).
- In her 11th 20-point game of the season, Tina Charles scored a season-high first half points with 20. Charles finished the game with 22 points on 62.5% shooting from the field.
- Bria Hartley tied her season’s best with17 points, six rebounds and four assists for New York.
- Reshanda Gray added eight points in her first start since Amanda Zauhi B’s return from Euroleague play. Rebecca Allen also added eight points off of the bench.