WHITE PLAINS, NY. (August 30, 2019) – The Connecticut Sun traveled to New York to face the Liberty for their final matchup of the season. In a back-and-forth match, Connecticut won, 94-84.
Marine Johannés led the Liberty in scoring with a career high 21 points on 51.7% shooting from the field and 50% from beyond the arc (4-8).
In the first half, Connecticut was hot, shooting 52.6% from the field and 83.3% from three. Courtney Williams scored 12 points, tying Marine Johannés for the first half high.
New York led by as many as five in the first quarter and went down as many as 13 in the first half. The Liberty went into the locker room down nine.
The home team went on an 11-3 run to begin the third quarter. The run was promoted by three consecutive technical fouls called by the officials. The first two were on Sun players Alyssa Thomas and Jasmine Thomas. The third was on Sun coach Curt Miller. Kia Nurse made all three free throws.
A fourth technical was called in the third quarter, but this time it was against New York guard Bria Hartley. New York went on to cut the Connecticut lead to one with five minutes left in the third.
A layup by Rebecca Allen from a Tanisha Wright assist put New York up one point with less than five minutes remaining in the third quarter. On the next Liberty possession, Marine Johannéshit a three from the wing to put New York up four.
Connecticut regained the lead to end the third quarter ahead six points.
A three from the top of the key for Han Xu put the Liberty within five despite four consecutive points by Courtney Williams in the opening minutes of the fourth quarter.
Xu hit a second three-point shot, a career high, to once again cut Connecticut’s lead to five.
Connecticut went on to extend their lead to ten with 3:30 remaining in the fourth quarter. An and one by Kia Nurse and a made free throw put New York down seven.
The teams traded baskets, but the Sun pulled away, outscoring New York 27-23 in the fourth.
UP NEXT: New York will face off against the Washington Mystics for the final time this season on Tuesday, September 3 at 7 p.m. ET.
- New York shot 43.4% from the field and 41.7% from beyond the arc.
- Marine Johannés led the Liberty in scoring with a career high 21 points on 51.7% (8-14) shooting from the field and 50% from beyond the arc (4-8). She also had a career-high six assists on the night.
- Han Xu played a career-high 18 minutes and scored a career-high 12 points, including 2-2 from deep.
- Tina Charles did not play today due to rest needed. Tina has played 946 minutes in 30 games this season.
- Nayo Raincock-Ekunwe started for the first time this season. She finished the game with a season-high 10 points and a career-high seven rebounds.
- Kia Nurse scored 15 points and had three assists. She has scored in double figures in four of the last five games.
- The Liberty limited its turnovers to thirteen on the night— two less than the team’s average.