WHITE PLAINS, NY (August 13, 2019) – Wrapping up a two-game home stand, the New York Liberty hosted the Minnesota Lynx for the third and final time this regular season.
Despite coming back from a 16-point deficit in the first half, New York ultimately fell to the Lynx at Westchester County Center, 89-73.
Minnesota won the tip to open the match and the Liberty got a stop on their first defensive possession.
Tied at ten with 4:36 left in the first quarter, the Lynx went on a 10-2 run to end the first quarter, giving the team a six-point advantage.
In the first quarter, New York shot 42.9% from the field and Minnesota shot 53.3% from the field. The Liberty did not make a single three-point shot in the first quarter, but things turned around in the second, thanks to Rebecca Allen. Allen scored 20 of the team’s 26 second quarter points, 80% (8-10) from the field and 100% (4-4) deep. She scored a career-high 28 points on the night.
Allen opened the second quarter with a three-pointer to get the offense up and running for New York.
Danielle Robinson scored nine first half points off of the bench for the Lynx. Minnesota led by as many as 16 points in the first half, however, 20 points from Rebecca Allen in the second quarter alone, got the Liberty within two points of the Lynx headed into the locker room.
Out of the locker room, Reshanda Gray immediately tied the game at 42 with a layup. Minnesota regained and extended their lead from half to eight points with 7:12 left in the quarter forcing a New York timeout.
New York went down as many as 11 in the third quarter.
Rebecca Allen opened the fourth quarter with back-to-back three-point shots to get the Liberty within eight points. Allen made six consecutive shots tonight.
Despite hot shooting from Allen, Minnesota led by as many as 19 points in the fourth quarter.
The Lynx maintained their lead and went on to defeat the Liberty for the first time in New York this season.
UP NEXT: New York heads on the road for a three-game road trip beginning in Dallas when the team takes on the Wings on Friday, August 16 at 8 p.m. ET.
- Rebecca Allen led the Liberty offensively with a career night off of the bench, scoring 28 points on 73.3% (11-15) shooting from the field and 85.7% (6-7) from deep.
- Allen scored 20 points in the second quarter alone tying for the second most points scored in a quarter. The WNBA record for points in a single quarter is 22. The record is held by Diana Taurasi, who scored 22 in a single quarter on July 14, 2006.
- New York shot 43.9% from the field and 44.4% from beyond the arc on the night.
- Kia Nurse and Bria Hartley also scored in double figures with 11 and 10 points, respectively.
- Tina Charles added seven points and seven rebounds.