Johannès First Liberty Rookie in 20 Years to have Consecutive 20-Point Games
WHITE PLAINS, NY. (September 3, 2019) – The New York Liberty hosted a short-handed
Washington Mystics team in their final matchup of the 2019 season. Washington won, 93-77.
Marine Johannès led the Liberty with a career-high 22 points on 66.7% (8-12) shooting from the field and 57.1% (4-7) shooting from beyond the arc. Johannès is the first New York rookie since Crystal Robinson (1999) to have consecutive 20-point games.
After opening the game on a 14-4 run, Washington led by as many as 18 in the first quarter.
Back-to-back three-point shots by Marine Johannèsclosed the quarter for New York and cut the Mystics lead to only 12 points. Johannès scored 15 points, perfectly before missing a shot in the first half.
Elena Delle Donne scored 25 first-half points on 69.2% (9-13) from the field and 60% from the three-point line. New York held her to just five points in the second half.
Opening the third quarter on a 6-0 run, the Mystics took its largest lead of the game when the team went up 27 points. Washington maintained at least a 20-point lead throughout the majority of the third quarter and never looked back.
The visiting team went on to defeat the Liberty for the third time this season.
UP NEXT: New York will play its final home game of the 2019 season against Indiana on Friday, September 6 at 7 p.m. ET at Westchester County Center, when the team celebrates in annual fan appreciation night.
- The New York Liberty shot 43.5% from the field and 33.3% from three.
- Marine Johannès led the Liberty with a career-high 22 points on 66.7% (8-12) shooting from the field and 57.1% (4-7) shooting from beyond the arc. She added three assists and three rebounds.
- Johannès is the first rookie since Crystal Robinson (1999) to have consecutive 20-point games.
- Nayo Raincock-Ekunwe tied her career-high with 12 points on 75% (3-4) shooting from the field. She had five rebounds and went 6-7 from the free throw line.
- Tanisha Wright added nine points on 50% (4-8) shooting from the field and three assists.
- Han Xu scored nine points on 57.1% (4-7) from the field. She made one-of-two goals from beyond the arc.
- The Liberty bench contributed 53 points.