WHITE PLAINS, NY. (August 27, 2019) – The New York Liberty hosted a full Phoenix Mercury (14-15) roster for the first time this season. In their third and final match of 2019, the Liberty (9-21) were defeated by the Mercury, 95-82.
Bria Hartley and Amanda Zahui B led the Liberty with 18 points apiece. Zahui B shot 61.5% (8-13) from the field and 50% (2-4) from beyond the arc. Hartley shot 47.1% (8-17) from the field in her season-high performance.
In the first half, New York hit 51.4% of its shots from the field and 40% from the three-point line. Phoenix shot 60.6% from the field and 50% from beyond the arc.
Although Phoenix led by as many as 10 points in the first half, the Liberty went into the locker room at half down only three points.
Bria Hartley led the Liberty in first half scoring with 11 points on 55.6% (5-9) from the field. Brittney Griner led all first half scorers with 19 points on 75% (9-12) from the field. Griner scored 10 points and grabbed 5 rebounds in the first quarter before leaving the game after tweaking her knee. She returned to the game early in the second quarter.
The Liberty came out hot after the break, outscoring the Mercury 17-10 in the first five minutes. A 4-0 run by the Mercury out a timeout tied the game with less than four minutes remaining in the third quarter.
Amanda Zauhi B scored seven third quarter points for the Liberty to give the team a four-point lead midway through the third. However, an 8-0 run to end the third quarter for Phoenix gave the team a seven-point lead headed into the fourth.
There were four lead changes and three ties in the third quarter alone.
In the fourth, Phoenix stretched its lead outscoring New York, 19-13 and outrebounding the Liberty 10-4. The visiting team ultimately defeated the Liberty at home, 95-82.
UP NEXT: New York continues its homestand taking on the Connecticut Sun on Friday, August 29 at 7:30 p.m. ET.
- New York shot 46.5% from the field and 38.1% from beyond the arc.
- Bria Hartley and Amanda Zahui B led the Liberty with 18 points apiece. Zahui B shot 61.5% (8-13) from the field and 50% (2-4) from beyond the arc. Hartley shot 47.1% (8-17) from the field.
- Hartley’s 18-point performance is a season high, beating out her former season-high of 17.
- Tina Charles has scored double figures in the last nine of ten games. She had 13 points on 35.7% (5-13) shooting from the field.
- Kia Nurse scored 15 points on 36.4% (4-11) from the field and 40% from deep. Nurse added a team-high six assists.
- The Liberty limited its turnovers to ten on the night— five less than the team’s average.