The following members of the New York Liberty are in contention for 2021 WNBA Player Awards:
Kia WNBA Most Improved Player
- Compiled a career-best regular season in her first campaign with New York.
- Averaged career-highs of 11.7 points, 5.0 rebounds and 2.7 assists per game.
- Shot personal bests of 47.3% from the field and 42.5% from deep, as well as logged a career-high 28.1 minutes per game across 25 starts. Whitcomb did not start in any games in 2020.
- Sami is No. 2 in the WNBA in three-point field goals made on the season (76).
- Became just the fourth player in WNBA history to finish the regular season averaging 16.7+ points, 5+ assists and 4+ rebounds, joining Cappie Pondexter (2009), Diana Taurasi (2013), and Candace Parker (2015).
- 2021 WNBA All-Star and Liberty leading scorer Betnijah Laney is top 10 in the WNBA across the following categories:
- MPG: 33.7 (4th)
- Total Minutes: 1079 (1st)
- PPG: 16.8 (10th)
- Total Points: 536 (9th)
- APG: 5.2 (7th)
- Total Assists: 167 (5th)
- Laney scored 536 points during the regular season, more than her first four WNBA seasons combined.
- Betnijah scored in double figures in 27 of 32 games this season, scoring 20+ points in the first eight consecutive contests.
- Laney is the first Liberty player to open a season with eight games of 20+ points in franchise history. Throughout the league’s history, the record for the longest 20+ point streak to open a season is 9 and is held by Cynthia Cooper (1999 season).
WNBA All-Defensive Team
|2021||WNBA RANKINGS (GUARDS)|
|STOCKS PER GAME||2.84||2nd (1st)|
- Leads the Liberty in steals (40) and blocks (31).
- Ranks 5th in the WNBA in steals per game with 1.6, and 8th leaguewide in blocks per game with 1.3. Also ranks No. 1 in blocks per game amongst WNBA guards.
- Allen is just one of three players across the WNBA this year to average 2.8+ stocks (steals and blocks) per game along with Sylvia Fowles and Breanna Stewart.
- Bec finished the regular season as just the 17th player in league history to average at least 1.6 steals and 1.2+ blocks per game.
- Recorded back-to-back blocks in the final two possessions against the Los Angeles Sparks in Liberty’s 76-73 win on June 20.
Kia WNBA Rookie of the Year
|2021||WNBA ROOKIE RANKINGS|
- Onyenwere is leading all WNBA rookies in:
- PPG: 8.6
- Total Points: 275
- Total Field Goals Made: 91
- MPG: 22.5
- Total Minutes: 721
- RPG: 3.0 (2nd)
- She has won three consecutive WNBA Rookie of the Month honors — the only newcomer to garner the award this season and the only Liberty rookie to ever win consecutively.
- Michaela scored in double figures in 12 contests in her rookie regular season campaign.
- Her 11 points and career-high 10 rebounds against Minnesota on August 31 was her first-career double-double.
WNBA All-Rookie Team
|2021||WNBA ROOKIE RANKINGS|
- Richards is leading all rookies in three-point field goal percentage, shooting 45.5% (10-22) from distance despite attempting only one three in four seasons at Baylor.
- DiDi ranks second amongst rookies in:
- Games Played: 31
- Field Goal Percentage: 42.1% (minimum 30 attempts)
- Steals: 17
- Also ranks third in assists (25), blocks (5), and total minutes (320).