NEW YORK, N.Y. – Despite 20 points and 9 rebounds from All-Star Tina Charles the New York Liberty fell to the Connecticut Sun 79-57 in its 2017 preseason finale on Sunday afternoon at Levien Gymnasium on the campus of Columbia University. It was the 2nd-straight season the Liberty hosted a preseason contest at Columbia open exclusively for season ticket holders.
It was the team’s final warmup before the 2017 season opener next Saturday, May 13, against the San Antonio Stars at Madison Square Garden at 3 p.m.
New York fell behind 21-5 after the 1st quarter of play, but then Charles took over in the 2nd period to pull her squad back into it. Charles scored 15 of her game-high 20 points in the 2nd, going 5-of-6 from the field. After falling behind 29-16, Charles led a 7-0 run, capped off by a bucket in the paint to make it a two-possession game at 29-23.
The Liberty trailed by 10 at the end of the 1st half, and the Sun opened the 3rd quarter on an 8-2 run, powered by 5 points from Jasmine Thomas, including a 3-pointer at 8:24 that made it 45-29.
Charles was the only Liberty player to finish in double figures. Bria Hartley scored 9 points and knocked down a trey. In her 1st action since rejoining the team Amanda Zahui B scored 4 points with 5 rebounds, 3 assists, and two steals.
New York was plagued by turnovers in the loss, giving it away 23 times, which led to 25 points for the Sun; Connecticut was +14 in points off turnovers in the win.
- Tina Charles was one rebound shy of a double-double, scoring 20 points on 6-of-11 shooting in 21 minutes of playing time. She was also 8-of-9 at the free throw line
- Amanda Zahui B had a team-high 3 assists for the Liberty, her 1st preseason game since joining the team earlier this week
- Morgan Tuck scored 20 points to lead the Sun
- New York shot just 1-of-10 from 3-point range with Bria Hartley hitting the team’s only triple
- The Liberty was outrebounded for a 2nd-straight game, with the Sun winning on the glass 38-35