UNCASVILLE, CONN. – The New York Liberty beat the Los Angeles Sparks 81-65 in a preseason game at Mohegan Sun Arena on Tuesday evening. Center Kia Vaughn led the way for New York, scoring a game-high 14 points with 6 rebounds.
New York rode a big 2nd half surge to the double-digit win. Knotted up 40-40 at the end of the 1st half, forward Cierra Burdick scored 5 of her 10 points in the 3rd quarter to help the Liberty build a 5-point cushion.
The defense would hold Los Angeles to just 8 points in the 4th quarter as the Sparks shot just 35.4 percent from the field overall, and saw no player finish in double figures.
New York turned the ball over 10 times in the 1st half, but committed just six giveaways over the final 20 minutes,
Vaughn was 5-of-5 from the field to amass 14 points, and saw three of her six rebounds come of the offensive end.
The Liberty played all 14 healthy players in the game and saw 13 score at least one bucket. Rookie Nayo Raincock-Ekunwe finished with 6 points and a team-high seven rebounds, while Brittany Boyd dished out four assists.
Also making her Liberty debut on Tuesday night, point guard Bria Hartley finished with seven points in 14 minutes, knocking down a 3-pointer.
New York is right back at Mohegan Sun Arena on Wednesday night when it plays another preseason game, this time against the Chicago Sky. Tipoff is scheduled for 5 p.m.
• The Liberty improved to 2-10 in the preseason under head coach Bill Laimbeer. It was New York’s 1st victory in a preseason game since 2013.
• The starting five on Tuesday was rookie Lindsay Allen, Sugar Rodgers, Rebecca Allen, Tina Charles, and Vaughn
• Both Kiah Vaughn (14) and Cierra Burdick (10) scored in double figures for the Liberty
• New York was dominant on the glass, outrebounding the Sparks 41-20, grabbing 11 offensive rebounds
• 13 different players hit at least one field goal in the win.
• The Liberty limited Los Angeles to just 25 points in the 2nd half, outscoring the Sparks by 16